Basic Performance Wideband coverage
- 0.005-3335MHz wideband coverage
- +40dBm 3rd order intercept point and 109dB dynamic range*
- Multi-function high performance spectrum scope
- ±0.05ppm high frequency stability
- ±3dB* accuracy of dBµ/dBµ(emf) /dBm meter
*10 to 70dBµ signal between 100kHz to 3335MHz at 25°C
- SSB/CW/AM mode auto tuning function
- Optional P25 digital mode reception
- Professional grade operation, functionality and build
The IC-R9500 covers 0.005-3335MHz in SSB, AM, FM (WFM), CW, FSK and P25* modes. It is suitable for a wide variety of radio monitoring and listening activities.Superb receiver performance
* Optional UT-122 digital unit is required.
The IC-R9500 achieves amazing performance by using a D-MOS FET array in the 1st mixer (below 30MHz) and an excellent IMD roofing filter. The IC-R9500 has +40dBm IP3 and 109dB dynamic range at 14.1MHz. IP3 performance is +9.8dBm at 50MHz and +6.2dBm at 620MHz (+5dBm (typical) from 30MHz to 3335MHz). Five roofing filters
The IC-R9500 has 5 independent roofing filters (240, 50, 15, 6 and 3kHz) for improved selectivity. In very crowded RF spectrum conditions, it is extremely important to protect against strong in-band signals. The 3kHz roofing filter provides a 130dB (approx.)* blocking dynamic range.Dual DSP
* At 15MHz reception, with 5kHz separation signals.
The IC-R9500 incorporates two independent, 32-bit floating point DSP units, a dedicated DSP unit for receiver functions and another for the spectrum scope. By using the power of two independent DSP units, the radio can respond to operator changes in an instant.±0.05ppm high frequency stability
The IC-R9500 uses an OCXO (Oven Control Crystal Oscillator) unit which provides ±0.05ppm frequency stability from 0°C to 50°C. The 10MHz reference frequency can either be supplied to or input from external equipment. Digital IF filter
The digital IF filter* allows the operator to adjust the filter shape (sharp or soft), filter bandwidth, and center frequency characteristics. The digital twin PBT narrows and shifts the IF passband to efficiently eliminate undesired signals.Spectrum Scope Multi function spectrum scope
* For FM, WFM and P25 mode, the passband width is fixed.
Using a dedicated DSP unit improves the dynamic range of the spectrum scope. The IC-R9500 has four different spectrum modes such as normal/wide and center/fixed width. The normal spectrum scope covers a range from ±2.5kHz to ±5MHz, while the wide band spectrum scope* observes up to ±500MHz (±10MHz, ±25MHz, ±50MHz, ±100MHz ±250MHz and ±500MHz selectable). When using the normal spectrum scope, the digital scope's filter width can vary from 200Hz to 20kHz with a variable sweep speed. The spectrum scope can also be set to use specific scope edges or to center the span on the receiving frequency. The peak search function automatically moves the display marker to the strongest signal on the scope screen. In addition to these features, the scope has 3 levels of attenuation (10dB, 20dB, 30dB).
* While using the wide band scope function, AF output is muted.
Functions 7-inch wide color TFT LCD
- Fixed mode ... the scope screen does not shift when you change the receiving frequency.
- Center mode ... the scope screen shifts as the receiving frequency moves. The receiving frequency is always centered on the scope screen.
- Wide band scope receives up to ±500MHz.
- Sweep speed/span/ filter width setting
- Peak search function
- Peak hold function
- Mini scope function
The large 7-inch wide (800 × 480 pixels) active matrix display delivers quick response time, high resolution and has a wide viewing angle. The multi-function spectrum scope is displayed in vivid color. The background color is selectable from black or blue for your preference. In addition, the IC-R9500 has a VGA connector allowing you to connect an external monitor. Multiple RSSI
S-meter, dBµ, dBµ(emf) and dBm meter types are selectable in the IC-R9500. The dBµ, dBµ(emf) and dBm meter have ±3dB of accuracy (10 to 70dBµ signal from 100kHz to 3335MHz at 25°C).Noise blanker
The IC-R9500 has the DSP controlled noise blanker that significantly reduces pulse type noise and improves the S/N ratio by removing interfering noise. The noise blanker has two channels with adjustable width and depth parameters. You can use these to target the specific noise interference.Two-point manual notch filter
The digital manual notch filter has a depth of more than 70dB at two points with adjustable filter width (wide, middle, narrow). This means that two strong beat signals can be eliminated at once even while using the auto notch filter.Synchronous AM detection
The synchronous AM (S-AM) detection provides less distor ted audio than normal diode detection. This mode is useful when fading occurs or signal level is low. The IC-R9500 can recreate the carrier signal exactly by using the DSP. In addition, upper or lower sideband demodulation for S-AM is selectable for eliminating inter ference from adjacent strong signals.FSK modulator & decoder
The IC-R9500 has built-in FSK demodulator and decoder.
- Twin peak filter
- Water-fall indicator
- FSK-R mode
- FSK tone and shift frequencies programmable
The IC-R9500 has 10 VFO channels for tuning and storing operating frequencies, mode, filter width and other settings. For example, use VFO-1 for the 7MHz band, VFO-2 for the VHF marine band,VFO-3 for the 1200MHz band, etc. You can quickly change the operating bands with the 10-keypad. When the VFO is changed, the settings are automatically stored in that VFO channel.A total of 1220 memory channels
The IC-R9500 has a total of 1220 memory channels. Store frequencies, modes, filter width and tuning steps. Memory channels are grouped into 10 memory banks. By connecting to a USB keyboard, you can edit memory contents directly.
Digital voice recorder
- 1000ch regular memory channels
- 20ch scan edge channels
- 100 auto memory write channels
- 100 memory scan skip channels
The IC-R9500 has two types of digital voice recorders. One is the regular recorder, recording for long periods in "WAV" format into the built-in CF memory or an external USB memory. The sampling rate is variable from 8kHz (SQ1) to 48kHz (SHQ). In SQ1 mode, up to 130 minutes (approx.) of recorded audio can be stored into the CF memory. The other recorder is the shor t voice recorder, which saves the previous 15 seconds of radio audio into RAM, allowing you to play back the audio instantly.Multi-scan functions
Numerous scanning functions to search for desired stations are available to make operation easier. The
IC-R9500 scans 40 channels per second in memory scan mode.
- Memory scan
- Program scan
- Fine program scan
- F scan / F fine scan
- Priority scan
- Selected mode memory scan
- Selected memory scan
- Auto memory write scan
- Tone scan
The built-in synthesizer announces the receiving frequency, mode and signal strength in English.USB connector
The IC-R9500 has a USB connector for connecting external USB memory or other USB devices. Received audio and the receiver configuration files can be imported and exported to a PC. Firmware upgrades are also possible via USB memory.Various receive assist functions*
* Some functions are not available depending on operating mode or band.
Additional outstanding features
- SSB/CW/AM mode auto tuning function
- AFC function compensates for frequency shifts(FM/WFM mode only)
- Preamp and attenuator
- 1/4 tuning step function and dial click function
- CW-R (reverse) mode
- APF (Audio Peak Filter)
- AGC (Automatic Gain Control)
- VSC (Voice Squelch Control)
- Input overload protection (HF bands only)
- Optional P25 digital mode reception
- Analog TV tuner (NTSC/PAL/SECAM)*
*Except USA version
- 4 antenna connectors: an SO-239 type, a phono (RCA) connector and two type-N connectors
- S/P DIF output jack
- Video input/output
- Clock function with daily timer and sleep timer
- CTCSS and DTCS tone squelch
- Simplified frequency calibration using WWV or WWVH
- Dial lock function
- Panel lock function
- Adjustable tuning step
- Dimmer function
- Monitor function